Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Another Side of Nappanee Indiana

Last September Kev and I went to Indiana for a few days to see my parents.


I took the opportunity to get some pictures. I love just driving down the country roads and snapping pictures of the day to day life.

The Amish are Fascinating. Such good, kind people.

Miles and miles of soybean and corn fields.


I drove by 4 or 5 times trying to capture a picture of this adorable sight. There were 3 little kids "mowing" the lawn. It was a miniature pony attached to a sleigh with a manual metal mower attached on the back of the sleigh. They were giggling and having a ball.

The thing I appreciate most is the slower pace of life. You feel as though you can take deeper slower breaths while visiting this town. The motto is "Embrace the Pace".

A beautiful day on the farm.

Visited the local quilt shop/ fabric store in this old Victorian home. Would love to have a quilt shop like this.


Visited the Amish bake shops down town. The best food ever. Homemade with fresh ingredients. Bread, Peanutbutter- Amish Peanutbutter is made with peanutbutter and marshmellow fluff.

Homemade noodles, fudge, any baked goods you can think of.







We visited the local craft malls. I have memories of my Mom having a booth at this craft mall when I was a little girl. I recall going with her to restock her booth with crafts. This visit to the craft booths was far different from my memories. The economy hit this area hard. Many booths are empty. I was silently cheering on those who still have a booth, working hard to keep the love of crafts and handmade goods alive in the area.

Kev and I visited Amish Acres- Does Kev cut it as an "Amish" man?

Being "touristy"

A "barn mouse" from the fudge shop.

"Downtown"

Picked tomatoes from my Dad's Garden

The gnome in his garden did his job well, a great growing season.


Looking forward to the next trip already. I usually like to go in the Fall- beautiful, and not freezing cold yet.

2 Notes to the Queen Bee:

Renee said...

Looks like you've been a jet-setter lately! Glad you're getting a break from work to have some fun!

Matt and Kristine said...

Wow! Those amish shots were amazing. I didn't know that was so close to your house. How fun to see areas that you have memories with your mom, what a blessing. Kevan totally looks amish, except... for the BYU football t. True fan! I remember you telling me about your dad's garden. I just took the kids to see Gnomeo and Juliet. His gnome made me laugh!