Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Parable of the Unwise Bee

First off I need to clarify: The pictures in teh previous post were just pics of the net of beautiful homes. We will be moving at somepoint into a WAY more humble home. I was just giving you all eye candy :)
There are many cool things about working with the church youth group. Although it takes alot of time to prepare for the lessons, often times you walk away with something cool like this.
My Handout- The lesson was on self reliance.
I was trying to teach the girls that while self reliance is important, it's equally important on the journey to self reliance to rely on those who love you and have experience. They can teach you things. Hence the Parable of the Bee came into play. Great story! Do read! (The story was glued to the back of the bee as well.
Elder James E. Talmage (an early General Authority of the Mormon Church) tells the story of a bee that flew into his office on a warm summer day. After buzzing through the room several times, the bee failed to find the partly opened window through which it had entered. Elder Talmage understood some things that the bee could not. He knew that if the bee remained trapped in the room, it would die. Hoping to free it, he stepped to the window and opened it wide. He tried to guide the bee out the window. But it would not be guided. He tried harder, but the bee became angry and even stung his hand. The bee persisted in its wild flight and never found the window to its freedom. By the following day, it had died.
Sometimes our desires to become independent and more self reliant are so strong tha twe begin to act negatively toward any kind of authority over us.

3 Notes to the Queen Bee:

Allison said...

LOVE IT!!!!! I had never heard that before!

Matt and Kristine said...

That bee has your handy work written all over it!

Handi Andi said...

good analogy. Sometimes I am trying so hard to do what Heavenly Father has said that he wants me to do that I forget that I am not in it alone. I often feel over whelmed and like I will never really be good enough. I forget that I can and should ask for help and heavenly guidance. Thanks for the uplifting thought