Search This Blog

Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Art of Bread Making

**This fabulous loaf was made by Melinda last night ( See below)

TWO out of the three Craft Nights we've had (See previous posts), Melinda-who is super crafty and talented at MANY things- has brought fresh baked homemade bread. MAKING BREAD SCARES ME! It just seems like a bear to tackle. Lo and behold she introduced me to this book- I can't say enough good things about this book- laid out nicely, easy to read, great tips, quick easy recipes with minimal work. She let me borrow it, and gave me a bread stone to keep, to inspire my bread making skills.

3 weeks later, I still had not made bread... So, because Melinda's so great she offered to show me-I know, I'm a wuss-"It's bread, it's only bread" All I had to bring was a plastic container with a lid that holds five quarts. (see picture below- Target 97 cents) So we made bread!


Me and Melinda- After we made our batch, she whipped up some beautiful tastey sandwich bread (pictured above)- AND sent some home with me :)


Why this bread is so wonderful:

  • It's artisan bread- VERY Tastey.
  • It literally takes 5 minutes to make the dough in your little plastic container.
  • It only has about 5 ingredients.
  • You make one Batch of dough in your container and put it in the fridge. When you want fresh baked bread, you grab a hunk of dough out of the container and bake it- the The dough is good up to 2 weeks in your fridge, the flavor gets a more sourdough flavor.
  • This basic recipe- can be added to, to do make dozens of recipes- just through in herbs etc.

I'll post pics of the actual baked bread once I bake it. It's sitting in my fridge- and I have 2 whole weeks to do it! Watch out People, Rachel's making bread!

2 Notes to the Queen Bee:

Matt and Kristine said...

lol! What a great idea to pass along a good cookbook to a friend. We all have different skills and therefore should share them. I myself was scared to even make bread in my breadmaker I got for graduation from my parents. Matt had to do the first loaf! Hilarious, I know. So you are not alone. Now, I am confident to throw anything in there. If only I had it... still in storage I am afraid. PS: Cute shirt! Old Navy?

Megan said...

I am so glad you posted that! I too am scared to make bread...but you make we want to go out and buy the stuff and try it!